Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Squeaky Wheel ... No Longer Gets MY Grease

Watching the news tonight, they previewed “Gabby”, the book about Gabrielle Giffords’ recovery from a tragic shooting. Earlier in the broadcast they talked about the Joe Paterno scandal. Resilience of the human spirit is often overshadowed by drama and poor choices, but I choose to focus on stories like Gabby Giffords and her intern Daniel Hernandez who stay by her side in her time of need. I will root for true winners like J.R. Martinez who sustained severe burns while serving in the Army – and who continues to serve and inspire others.

I choose to think about my neighbor in the Reserves who is about to be deployed. I pray for the young women I know who have escaped from an abusive relationship – and those who were unable to escape or still want to. Instead of remembering the long lines we stood in for TSA security at the airport, I will remember the applause we heard walking toward our gate as we saw a soldier returning home. I will not glorify celebrity marriages lasting only 72 days. I will, however, recognize those who quietly show their commitment everyday – as parents, spouses, teachers, pastors and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment