Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Campers

Last night my son, James, went to his first campout. Sure, he's spent the night with his best friend and with relatives, but this was different.


I was torn. As a mom who knows that this little guy is my last-born child, I'm not ready for my "baby" to spend a night in the great outdoors. I was worried that his buddies would laugh at him because his thumb still finds its way to his mouth while he sleeps. I wondered how he'd do sleeping on a cold hard ground on a night when thunderstorms were expected. And finally, before I went to bed, I missed kissing his clammy little forehead good-night.


On the other hand, I was ready for him to experience some of the same fun his buddies have had in Boy Scouts (something he declined to get involved with). I didn't want him to miss out on fun with all the boys in his class, especially since he tends to be shy and stick closely to his very best buddies. I also knew that it would be a rockin' good party with a mom who's a science teacher and always has lots of fun activities.


It took some persuasive talking by several of us, but he went to the birthday campout, knowing that he could call us at any point and we'd come pick him up. Yes, it rained that night. No, he didn't like sleeping on the rocky ground. Yes, he jumped on the trampoline and didn't break a bone or get a concussion. No, he didn't call us. Yes, he did get to catch bugs and play with water balloons. No, he didn't get a kiss good-night.


But he and I did get something. James realized he could try a lot of new things and spend the night outdoors with all his buddies. And I'm gradually learning to let my little bird leave the nest – as long as he comes back the next day.


When my tired little bird returned, he told me that he had a great time and then asked, "Mom, can you and I snuggle for awhile?" So, snuggle we did. I stroked his hair, his thumb popped into his mouth and he drifted off to sleep on a nice warm comfy bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment