Friday, December 16, 2011

Mommy's Letter to Santa

It's that time of year when kids pour out their hearts to Santa about how good they've been and what gifts they want. This year my daughter has put a request on her list that will definitely not be fulfilled. No, we will not be flying Bethany Hamilton to the middle of Illinois in the middle of winter to meet our daughter.


For those of you who don't know who Bethany Hamilton is, she's a teenage professional surfer and shark attack victim who, through the strength of her faith and family, continues to surf and inspire. This year's movie Soul Surfer was based on her life. I'm glad that my daughter has chosen a hard-working Christian girl to serve as a role model, but I just don't have the connections or financial means to bring Bethany to central Illinois – I also don't have the heart to bring a Hawaii native to our cold winter climate.


However, it did make me start thinking. If my daughter can ask for something that is unlikely to happen, then maybe I ought to write my own letter to Santa. Here's how it would go:


Dear Santa,
I have been very good this year. I've taken good care of my children, husband and pets. I've worked hard at my job and have volunteered for numerous activities. So here is what I hope you can bring me:


• A self-cleaning house
• One whole shower by myself without either child or either dog needing "something very important"
• A self-filling gas tank
• Time to read an entire book – just for fun
• The ability to lose 10 pounds without trying
• A short weekend getaway with my husband – while Mary Poppins spends time with our kids and dogs
• Time to cook the types of meals I'd really like to prepare
• The opportunity to watch a non-animated movie – and stay awake for the whole thing
• Beautiful holiday snow – but not on the roads
• Children who never argue with each other (or me, for that matter!)
• The ability to sing and dance like a pro
• And finally, a really good night's sleep!


Thank you very much, Santa! My best to you and the wife,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment